Counseling & Guidance Center

Welcome to the City Honors School Counseling & Guidance Center!

Types of Advanced Regents Diplomas: A Quick Guide for CHS Parents and Students

Buffalo Public Schools Counselors' Mission:

The mission of the Buffalo Pubic Schools’ Guidance and Counseling Program is that Certified School Counselors will provide high quality, individual and group counseling, coordination and consultation of educational services to all students. They will work collaboratively with parents, faculty, community, business and industry to enable every student, regardless of individual differences, to acquire the self-knowledge educational, occupational and career development competencies necessary to be prepared to succeed and meet the challenges of an ever changing society.

Your School Counselors:

Islanda Taggart is our School Counseling & Guidance Center Secretary. The office can be reached by phone at: 716.816.4243

Scroll down or click on links below for more information on the following topics:

Help with your College Search

2017 Junior Parent Night Presentation

The following sites will aid in your college search:

School guides ( – provides useful information on colleges, testing, financial aid and scholarships

Information for College-Bound Students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, or Other Disabilities:

(includes a page with links to the Office of Disability Support Services at colleges and universities in New York):

    College Admissions Visits

    Western New York College Consortium College Fair - October 23, 2017 11:40 am -12:10 pm - Room 117/LGI, City Honors School

    At City Honors

    City Honors hosts representatives from a wide range of colleges and universities who visit our guidance center to present information on their schools and answer questions. Students are encouraged to attend several of these visits to explore their collegiate opportunities. A daily calendar of the schools visiting as well as informational posters about upcoming visits are displayed in the corridor outside the counseling and guidance suite. As representatives often adjust their schedules on short notice, students are encouraged to consult this calendar frequently to check for changes.

    Visiting Colleges

    Campus Tours is an excellent site to view before campus visits.

    Financial Aid

    NYS Higher Education Services Corporation

    FAFSA on the Web: Fill out and transmit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

    The following is a list of sites that provide useful financial aid information:

      Beware of Scams! If you have to pay for it, don't. There are many free, legitimate sites available. Beware of "free seminars." There is usually a hitch and you may find yourself involved in an uncomfortable, high pressure sales situation.


      Standardized Testing Information

      PSAT: City Honors School administration during school hours on October 11, 2017

      Studying for the SAT or ACT? Check out these test-prep resources online...

        Summer Opportunities

        Summer 2017 Employment and Enrichment Opportunities

          Need Working Papers?

          Applications for working papers are available in the guidance & counseling suite. Students should see their school counselor for questions or assistance with the form.

          Need a Transcript?

          City Honors School Transcript

          If you graduated or attended City Honors prior to 2011, please call Buffalo City Hall at 716.816.3593
          If you graduated in 2011 or later, follow these steps:
          1. Send via the US mail, fax (716.888.7146), or come in person to the School Counseling and Guidance office with a signed written request with your name and the complete address of where the transcript needs to be sent.
          2. Provide a current copy of picture identification (ie: driver's license).
          *Please note that no email requests will be processed.
          Allow 10 business days from the time the request is received for it to be processed.

          Advanced Placement Transcript

          AP transcripts can only be requested through AP. To request that your score reports be sent to colleges, call 888.308.0013 (toll free in the United States and Canada) or 609.771.7366.

          International Baccalaureate Transcript

          IB transcripts are automatically sent out in mid-July to the college a student indicated on the senior exit survey that he/she filled out in May. If you are transferring to another school and need a copy of your IB transcript, you must contact IB directly. Information on how to request an IB transcript, as well as answers to frequently asked questions about IB transcripts, can be found here.